Thursday, December 07, 2006

An Ode to Winter

Ok, not so much an ode as a song, a song that is only peripherally about winter. So whatever...But, it does have what is at this moment my favorite lyric -Your name is the splinter inside me. So descriptive, and yet so simple. This is the kind of thing that people who write, wish they wrote.

I should know who I am by now
I walk the record stand somehow
Thinkin' of winter
Your name is the splinter inside me
While I wait

And I remember the sound
Of your November downtown
And I remember the truth
A warm December with you
But I don't have to make this mistake
And I don't have to stay this way
If only I would wake

The walk has all been cleared by now
Your voice is all I hear somehow
Calling out winter
Your voice is the splinter inside me
While I wait

I could have lost myself
In rough blue waters in your eyes
And I miss you still
"Winter" Josh Radin

The whole winter theme reminds me (I'm not sure why) of my quest to make a CD that has the names of all the months of the year. Strangely enough, although I've been able to think of some fall and winter songs - spring and summer, not so much. Here's all I have so far:

"September" Earth, Wind and Fire
"November Rain" GNR (rock!)
"Long December" Counting Crows

And I could technically use this song and get November and December out of the way all at one time. But that's all I can think of. I think that John Mayer might have a song with some months in it, but maybe not, maybe it's just holidays. Can anyone help me out?

3 comments:

fabricsnob said...

I feel I should be able to help, yet I cannot. The music has left my brain. Except for Will Hoge. I'm currently listening to Washed by the Water and requesting a concert poster on my Amazon wish list. Dork. I know...

Stephanie Willis, LCPC, CADC said...

Yes John does.

And I freaking love Joshua Radin. He is soooo great!! I've seen him twice in concert in the last six months :) tee hee he. but he is kinda short. . . .

Unknown said...

Do you actually have to like the songs?

Just Like January - Melissa O'Neill
January Rain - David Gray
January Friend - Goo Goo Dolls
February Song - Josh Groban
One Heavy February - Architecture in Helsinki
February Stars - Foo Fighters
February - Dar Williams
Ides of March - Silverstein
Waters of March - Al Jarreau
April Showers - Sugarland
April Fools - Rufus Wainwright
April in Paris - Count Basie
Five Days in May - Blue Rodeo
One Morning in May - James Taylor
Lusty Month of May - Camelot (showtune)
June Is Finally Here - Don Caballero
Seven Days in Sunny June - Jamiroquai
Rainy Day in June - Alan Jackson
Cold Day in July - Dixie Chicks
July Morning - Uriah Heep
4th of July - Soundgarden
August in Bethany - Juliana Theory
August 8th - Nofx
August - Rilo Kiley
August Moon - The 69 Eyes
The 12th of September - Xavier Rudd
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
Come September - Norah Jones
September Morn - Neil Diamond
A Lonely September - Plain White T's
September - Faktion
Maybe in September - Tony Bennett
October Nights - Yellowcard
October - Evanescence
When October Goes - Barry Manilow
Sweet November - Babyface
November Has Come - Gorillaz
Gone Til November - Wycleff Jean
My December - Linkin Park
Forget December - Something Corporate
December is For Cynics - The Matches
December - Collective Soul
December 4th - Jay-Z
Once Upon a December - Aaliyah
If We Make It Through December - Merle Haggard