Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I started wondering tonight what education would look like if everyone was allowed to choose their path of study.  

Let's see:
I would know a little about biology and chemistry, but nothing about physics.
Algebra I would have been the last math to make it into my brain and even it's hold would be tenuous.
I'd know a lot about world religions, art and the art of world religions (the giant Buddha statues in Afghanistan, The Pieta, etc...).
I'd be reading about bananas (see last night's post) and how they changed history.
I'd have a fundamental grasp of the mind (psychology) and the body (anatomy).
I'd be well versed in modern lit, but not the so-called "great books" schools tried to make me like (Fascists.  I think forcing people to read things they hate is a creepy kind of mind control, but I digress.).
I'd have a pretty good grasp of history and current events.  

All in all, I think I'd be pretty much like I am today.  Interesting.  I don't know if that's good or if it just proves that the government raised another quiet sheep.  

No comments: