Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm a black and white kind of person. I can usually see the greys, but I want NOTHING to do with them. Everyone else can have their greys, but I want my cut and dry black and whites. Unfortunately for me, it's pretty much NEVER that simple. Life, emotions, relationships, people, they're all lived in technicolor - lots of shades and variations. For me, that's kind of exhausting. But, I am trying. Since I obviously can't change it, I'm trying to be more accepting and mindful of the greys. In that vein, I've been examining a lot of greys lately, from my life and the lives of some of my friends.

Here's my latest grey thought...

As a person in a relationship and a person in your own right, is it ultimately necessary to be more responsible to yourself than to a relationship? I don’t know if that’s clear or not. What I mean is, how do you know, even if you love someone, that it’s time to take care of yourself and your happiness and leave the relationship? How does that theory work with the idea of commitment and such? They seem to be mutually exclusive ideas and ways of acting. That's confusing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In my opinion, if the relationship is solid enough, being responsible for your own happiness shouldn't make it suffer. If it's that shaky, it isn't good enough. Taking care of yourself should always be your first priority. And being in an honest, good relationship is a way of taking care of yourself.