Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Long Ride Home

I've had some time to think about it
And watch the sun set like a stone
I've had some time to think about you
On the long ride home
"Long Ride Home" Patty Griffin

I've had several long rides home during my lifetime. One was when my dad died; another a few weeks later when I came home for the first Thanksgiving without him. The latest long ride home was tonight.

And I know I'm not the only one. I know there are people all over the country taking long rides home this weekend. I have friends who are spending their first holidays without loved ones, family and friends of friends who are spending the last holiday with a loved one.

Here's to trying to find beauty in the ride.

Happy Thanksgiving all. To my friends and family, each of you are what I'm thankful for. You've made me what I've become this year - so much stronger, braver, happier, goofier, surer of myself. Thanks for accompanying me on the dark and light parts of the ride.

3 comments:

erin said...

I am Thankful for you, Allison.
Your strength gives me strength.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I love you,
Erin

fabricsnob said...

"Here's to trying to find beauty in the ride."
Thanks for saying this Al. I'm glad I met you this year. Hang in there girl. We're cheering you on!

Stephanie Willis, LCPC, CADC said...

beautiful