Monday, July 24, 2006

Jumpin'

RUBE: You like falling, do ya?

BETTY: Well, it's not the fallin'; it's the jumpin'.

RUBE: I'd feel a whole lot better about the jumpin' if it weren't for the fallin'.

BETTY: Fallin's easy - you just fall. Jumping involves strength of will.

RUBE: Unless you're on a plank.

BETTY: Then it isn't your choice. But if it is, it's the best feeling in the world.

RUBE: And you don't care where you land?

BETTY: Landing is a lot like fallin' - you just land.

(VO) If you've been putting off a jump, just putting it off, sometimes the subtle things are what make you take the plunge.

This is from a show that used to be on Showtime, "Dead Like Me." I really loved this episode. I saw it weeks ago, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I think it's a good, clear rumination (big word, go me!) on the whole action/consequence thing. You never can tell what consequences a certain action will have - aside from the big things, like you know, shooting someone or something like that - but you still have to be willing to put yourself out there.

The more I think about things lately, the more I think that you can never know 100% if ANYTHING you're doing is right. It all comes down to being brave enough to make a choice and take some action. Sure there's a possibility, maybe even a large possibility, that you'll get hurt. It's just what happens, you know? That's life. Sitting still, doing nothing may be safe, but you'll never get anywhere like that. And I think most people would feel better at least knowing they tried to do something different.

1 comment:

DivaMommy said...

So good to see you here again, Al! Keep on bloggin....