Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Patty and I's Thoughts

So I saw Patty Griffin in concert for the first time this weekend at the American Folk Festival. It will not be the last time. I will make an effort to see her whenever she plays here in Nashville. I've been listening to some of her music today, and I'll say like I always do that I hope she's not as sad as the songs she writes. Although, I don't think she is. She seemed pretty happy on stage - comfortable in her skin. I'm sure writing is her outlet to keep her from going mad.

So, anyway, I've been doing A LOT A LOT A LOT of thinking since I saw her the other night. Something about the way she talks about saying goodbye makes it seem like maybe it can be a beautiful thing to let go - bittersweet instead of just bitter. That's never a theory I've subscribed to. I always fight the ends of things, but listening to her I wonder if maybe there's another way to do it, one that doesn't involve as much drama and pain and confusion. In fact, she has a song called "Goodbye" that says, "I wonder if there was some better way to say goodbye." I wonder that too.

More wisdom from Patty:
So you let time forgive the past and go and make some other plans.
"Not Alone"

No comments: