Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's completely childish.

What is wrong with me? Am I 8? Even in a relatively somber speech on a historic day, I can't NOT laugh when I hear the word "duty." It's just funny people.

And for a quick mini-rant: I wish all these people who keep saying that they're "finally proud to be an American" would just shut up! I think it's rude and disrespectful to all the people who have worked and sacrificed for the entire span of this country's existence. The historic magnitude of today should be just ANOTHER reason you're proud to be an American (and because I'm an American, I can say that. And because you are too, then you can disagree with me. And then we can both go on with our lives and the pursuits of our happiness. That's something to be proud of too.).

Anyway, yes, there are BIG problems. Yes, people in power have made some terrible decisions. Yes, we all hope that President Obama will save the world, the economy, the environment and invent calorie-less cupcakes. But you weren't proud of your heritage before today? That says more about you than the state of the country, I think.  

No comments: