Monday, May 02, 2005

The Name Game

I remembered my password and user ID. Go me! This means I must flood the site now with my random thoughts before I forget this important piece of info along with when to pick up my drycleaning and when I had my last oil change.

Does anyone else besides me hesitate to register on websites just to avoid the hideous process of trying to figure out a user name that no one else in the world's population (6 billion and growing...or is that just how many people McDonald's has served) has already used? It took me 3 tries to get one for this site and my connections are beginning to get a little vague. Pretty soon I'm going to be stringing along my name, alma mater, PIN number and 6th grade locker combination to have something unique. I can't imagine how the John Smith's out there are creating user names. Maybe they just type in "ahdfahgfja" and let that be it.

I think once I tried to be "no name." It was already taken. The site did give me an option - I could be "no name623." Sigh.

I think the next time you're feeling so very different and unique, you should go try to think up a user name that no one else has. That'll bring you back down to earth. Kind of like how the little boy in The Incredibles says that because everyone is special nowadays, no one is. Yikes. When did cartoons get so smart?

Until Later -
Al

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So far I use the same username for everything and so far it hasn't been taken by anyone else except in Yahoo mail. Pjhugs is my initials and some letters from my last name. Works 99.9% of the time.

I started at the beginning of your blog. I've read two posts and love it already. I very much enjoy your wit. Thanks.