Monday, August 28, 2006

Hospice

Some of you might know that I've become a volunteer at Nashville's Alive Hospice. So far, it's been fulfilling work, and I've been really impressed by the attitude of everyone involved in the organization. Unfortunately on Saturday, I had to deal with the hard truth about hospice care and life in general: everyone dies. I walked into our unit in St. Thomas and noticed with a sinking heart that the first 5 rooms I passed were all empty with neatly made beds - talk about a feeling of foreboding. When I walked into the nurses' station I got the bad news that 6 patients had died on Friday.

I was saddest to find the name of my first hospice friend on the list of deaths from Friday. I was especially sorry and kind of angry to think that if it had not been for hospice, he might have died alone. That's just not right. In fact, to combat that (someone dying alone) Alive Hospice is developing a new volunteer team that will be on call to come to the unit in the event that someone is about to die and has no family or friends to be with them. This is a good organization, folks. I really urge you to consider helping out if you have the time. I know it seems kind of scary and sad, but if I can do it - trust me - you can too!

Since I started volunteering a couple of months ago, I've heard a lot about hospices and palliative care. I don't know if it's because more is being said or if it's just me paying more attention. In any case, I thought I would supply some links to a couple of articles I just read/heard in the last few weeks. I know most people are blissfully ignorant of the hospice concept until someone they know needs it, but it's a great organization that deserves community support.

US hospice industry booms as more opt to manage their death

Caring for Kids at the End of Life

No comments: