Thursday, August 10, 2006

Words of Wisdom: The Shrug


No, not the weird and unnecessary little half jacket/sweater thing, the "oh well," "dunno," and "I don't give a crap" gesture seen on the left.

The American Heritage Dictionary says that to shrug is "to raise the shoulders, especially as a gesture of doubt, disdain, or indifference."

I've had the opportunity to think about the shrug several times lately with a couple of different relationships. Today, a wise friend gave me this advice when I told her I wasn't going to dissect and pick to death something that happened to me. She said, "Well that's ok, then. Sometimes it's best not to dissect. I think the shrug is underused in our world. Sometimes we just have to shrug things off!"

She's SO right. I know there have been times when the shrug was definitely underused in my world. So prepare yourself...you may be seeing more shrugs from me. You can't always fix/understand/break the will of (ha) people or situations. Sometimes what is, is and no amount of worrying, trying to get your head around, or obsessing is going to make things make sense. Hence, the shrug. It will all be ok anyway, even if you don't understand it. I'm pretty sure of it.

1 comment:

Stephanie Willis, LCPC, CADC said...

hey there friend of a friend :) the one and only elly sent me your way.
and let me tell you, i shrug A LOT in my work as a therapist. people ask me what they should do. . .and up go the shoulder blades.
cheerio, you are now a bookmark.